H-1B Visa for Foreign Medical Graduates

Foreign medical doctors may use an H-1B visa for residency training and/or to practice medicine upon completion of the residency training. In order to qualify for an H-1B visa, the physician must:

  • Possess a degree in medicine;
  • Possess an unrestricted license to practice medicine in a foreign state;
  • Pass the Federal Licensing Examination (FLEX I and II) or the USMLE Steps I, II and III;
  • Demonstrate competence in oral and written English by successfully completing the English language proficiency exam given by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG); and
  • Such candidates must also possess an unrestricted license or other authorization to practice medicine in the state of intended employment in the United States.
Limitation for H-1B Visas
It is noted that the H-1B visa may be extended for up to 6 years. Further extensions are available under certain circumstances. H-1B visas are employer-specific and subject to annual numerical limitations.

J-1 Visas For Residency Programs and/or Fellowships
Foreign Medical graduates who have not completed Step III of the USMLE do not qualify for the H-1B visa but may pursue their residency training using a J-1 visa.


Disclaimer: The materials in Asonye & Associates web site have been prepared to permit visitors to our web site to learn more about the services we offer. These materials do not, and are not intended to, constitute legal advice. Neither transmission nor receipt of such materials will create an attorney-client relationship between the sender and receiver. Internet subscribers and online readers are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon materials in this web site without consulting legal counsel. We do not undertake to update any materials in our Web Site to reflect subsequent legal or other developments.